Customer Centered Design

Author: Christy Montgomery
Created On: 06/09/2016 05:00 AM

Great call today everyone! I heard from several call participants who are currently participating in ETA's National Customer Centered Design project that it was great to hear from Riccardo and Gus who have seen the hard work and success pay off.

What areas of the services you provide are you most interested in hearing from next? Designing Services that engage Out-of-school youth and lead to better outcomes? Or, perhaps, placing Employers in the center of Sector Strategies and Career Pathways? Or how about serving Individuals with Disabilities?

We are going working to make these calls as "customer-centered" as possible, so we look forward to hearing from you. :)

Comments

Displaying 1 - 10 of 15 results 1 2 Next> Last>>
Author: Stacey Thompson
Created On: 06/09/2016 02:35 PM

It indeed was great to hear from Gus and Ricardo! They were inspirational because they compelled you to push forward, which is what you need toward the end when so much time and energy has been exhausted!! I find all of the topics that you posted interesting. I would personally love to hear them in the order they are placed but with the "Employers in the center" topic being last. I would also love to hear about navigating regulations or staffing issues (limited staff) in the implementation of these changes.

Author: Gustavo Cisneros
Created On: 06/09/2016 03:14 PM

Thanks for allowing us to share our experiences and hopefully this will help future teams. Customer-Centered Design does work!!!!

Author: Nancy Saengjaeng
Created On: 06/10/2016 02:43 PM
Yes, hearing real experiences from a team is always more interesting. It brings the concept to life. Appreciate the candor on some of the challenges they faced and how they overcame them.  Like anything it takes practice to get comfortable with the process but the principle is truly simple.  By being reflective to the voice of our customers from the onset an throughout the process, it'll make a greater impact on the type of services we design and provide higher customer satisfaction.  Our team is so grateful that DOL put forth the various "Challenges" to tackle; yet, gave us the tools  (Acumen course) and the support (Maher & Maher Coaches) along with it.  We benefited greatly by learning these new skills.  Not only did we learn to work better as a team, stretch our comfort zone, but we've been able to have fun and create something innovative at the same time.  Once you embrace this new principle you' ll realized that you will look at everything in a whole new light!

To help teams get started on the right foot, I recommend these tools below since it helped our team.

Short video on How to build a perfect team by Google or search project aristotle. 

Also, humor is important to creativity.  Enjoy the journey and have fun along the way otherwise you are missing the point of this whole exercise.  Be prepared to put in a lot of work but if you insert fun, it will help you get through it:-)

Author: Doug Keast
Created On: 06/10/2016 03:55 PM

Thank you all so much for the opportunity to listen in and be a part of the discussion!  I enjoyed hearing about your process which established the expectation that everyone is expected to be a leader and contribute their expertise in the service design.  Having been able to participate in service design processes in workforce centers before, I'm particularly impressed with how important the focus on the person walking in the door is to the prototype design and how important it continues to be in ongoing operation.  Thank you Gus and Riccardo.  The emphasis on a shared commitment to the "welcome" process is also good.  From 10,000 feet up I think it is something that is lost if we all focus seperately on program compliance first and foremost.  Even though this approach is supported by each seperate program vision - our anxieties can have as great an impact on our service design - or greater - than our vision for service.  Congratulations to you folks for putting this in the right perspective and elevating the ability of all of the service participants to contribute to the success of the effort.  My expectation is that this focus has had a positive impact on both performance and program compliance as well.  Thanks again!

Author: Yolanda Salgado-Tovar
Created On: 06/11/2016 07:01 PM

Since about Human Centered Design, it seems like such an obvious approach; provide customers what they need. It has made me more aware of how underutilized it is in situations beyond workforce services. I was recently in a meeting where there was a discussion regarding incentives for clients. The group came up with list of things that was deemed very appealing. Applying my recent learning, I suggested that we survey people from the targeted population regarding the appeal of the incentives. It was very eye-opening to learn how off-target the proposed incentives were. My participation alone has already helped improve services in another department. Considering the amount of people involved in this project, I can only imagine impact this program is having. I appreciate the opportunity to continue to learn from all of you through this forum and through the phone calls. I feel inspired and better equipped to address the challenges of public service.  Have you had an simlar experience?

Author: Jessica Brown
Created On: 06/13/2016 01:14 PM

It was great to hear how San Bernardino brought Customer-Centered Design to life in Round 1. As our team is wrapping up Round 2 of CCD, this really gives us a push to keep going and to integrate this process into other areas of our work. Our team is interested in all of the topics you listed, Christy, but would be most interested in hearing best practices or other states' initiatives to put employers inthe center of sector strategies and career pathways work. Thanks again, Gus and Ricardo, for your time and your story!

Author: Nancy Saengjaeng
Created On: 06/13/2016 04:00 PM

For this Round 2 of CCD Challenge our team is working on how better to serve the Formerly Incarcerated population.  I wanted to share this resources with you for those in California working with this population.  We hosted a community event last week and the Chief Trial Deputy is really pushing Prop 47 that was passed back in 2014 but not too many people know about it.  In a full room filled with workforce professionals, only 2 people heard of it.  Prop 47 help reduce an eligible felony theft or drug possession offense to a misdemenor but not limited to.  Fee waiver is available.  They really encourage folks to contact them, when in doubt call; they can help with expungement.  Here's a link to our local public defender website to read more about prop 47 but you should contact your local public defender office for assistant.  The deadline for Prop47 is Nov 2017 so must act fast! Felony conviction impact many areas of their life, housing, job, and educational opportunity.  http://www.countyofsb.org/defender/prop47.sbc

Author: Gustavo Cisneros
Created On: 06/13/2016 04:18 PM

The Human Centered Design process helped us identify a new view of what customer service is and gave us the opportunity to see the customer as the centerpiece. It gave our team a clear view of how to cultivate inspiration and develop insight statements.... which was the beginning of the creation of ideas!!! 

Author: Alice Razo
Created On: 06/13/2016 11:31 PM

Since most teams are working on changing the way they do business, Team REBOOT would like to share how to change old habits and make new one.  Here’s a short 8mins clips and recommended book that was shown on Vital Signs by Dr. Sanjay Gupta this past Saturday.  Hope you’ll find it helpful.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/03/17/vital-signs-making-and-breaking-habits-spc-b.cnn/video/playlists/intl-vital-signs/

Author: Luciano Santini
Created On: 06/14/2016 01:30 AM

Good Morning,

Working with Team REBOOT on dealing with Ex-Offender so wanted to share a link to this episode that was shown yesterday on CNN ‘United Shades of America’.  This stand up comedian went to visit San Quentin and show what life is like for these men and rehabilitation.

http://go.cnn.com/?type=episode&id=2060956